12 JULY 2014 - UPDATE

1) We have just released Striking 5.3 maintenance update for those still using the "Original" Striking theme. Please see the theme release thread below for details. This update is only available by the internal update function as this theme is deprecated and no longer available for sale.

2)  Next inline in a few days is Striking MultiFlex. This update is actually "in the can" but we are working on ancillary matters. Expect it sometime in the next few days.

To insert code use <code>...</code>.
STRIKING RESPONSIVE - BETA RELEASE THREAD -BETA VERSION 0.979 -> JULY 12, 2013
  • July 12, 2013 - Striking Responsive Beta Version 0.979 Released

Please go to Striking Support to obtain the download, review the licensing terms, and read about what has transpired since the last beta.

This is another of the interim build on the way to final release. It took a touch longer to push out as different team members ran into various other personal and professional obligations taking time away from the release push.

This release includes the full implementation of font awesome into Striking Responsive, including a new Font icon shortcode in the typography group with 7 settings, plus a font icon selector and icon color selector added to navigation menu items (both top level and sub level!), buttons, tab and mini tab titles, and accordion titles.

The changelist at the download site fully details other changes in this build.

July 1, 2013 - Striking Responsive Beta Version 0.978 Released

Essentially an overnight build (well, we are a widespread team geographically so its always overnight for someone! :)) ) which just quickly grabbed some issues and comments reported in the last 2 days and stomped them asap, so that users could confirm such, while the team works on all the finishing touches mentioned in prior communications.

The list of changes in the build is noted at the download site, and also in a comment below. This build also updates the Rev slider to the latest version (although we know they are already working on another update). Please test away in diff browsers as we think we put a few nails in the coffin of some IE 10, Chrome and Safari reported matters.

June 28, 2013 - Striking Responsive Beta Version 0.977 Released

A quick followup to 0.976 (which never got a thread of its own...) and 0.975. Today's update restores Woo compatibility, and also contains some tweaks for IE10 functionality.

->> Please note that IE10 does not support some of the CSS3 necessary for the Striking Grayscale functions. If you set the grayscale effect to media, the theme has auto IE10 detection and disables grayscale automatically. There may be further refinement of grayscale by release but overall it seems to be behaving better. Grayscale and different browsers is a not a conversation any two enlightened individuals want to have as this is an extremely touchy script. But in FF and IE it seems to be fine. Chrome and Safari we invite feedback as there may still be the occasional tweak necessary.

->> The To-Do list at Striking Support has also been revised. And with some of the recent coding fixes behind us work will resume on cranking out some videos for all to view the changes, functionality, etc.

At the bottom of the changelog we provided some detailed commentary on a few matters for all to review.

A user building a new site can use 0.979 as their site theme. The work on it from this point forward will be further tuning the the help dialogues, adding more call to actions, and squashing any errors reported (of which the ones we know about at this time are very insignificant and do not affect 99.9% of functionality). From our perspective, to use an analogy I provided in the prior beta thread as one of my last comment, we consider the car built, and are adding the decals, fancy rims, leather treatment, etc.

One can convert a regular site to the responsive version at any time. Be advised one should make full backups prior to attempting a conversion, and with work still outstanding on ancillary matters related to creating an official release, we at Striking can only provide limited support on upgrade and usage questions. Please keep this in mind if you are contemplating switching up to it, and our recommendation remains the conversion is most suitable by those who have good experience and expertise with Striking and Wordpress. Conversion is solely at your discretion and risk!

Below we have posted instructions on how to update.

Pages one can go to view different matters:

1) http://www.strikingsupport.com/testpage

has a number of portfolios on the page, including tabs containing portfolios and blogs in tabs.

2) http://www.strikingsupport.com/blog-shortcode-alignment-test-page

has all the different blog post alignments

3) http://www.strikingsupport.com/easy-slideshow-creator-demo

has discussion on the easy slideshow creator

->>Version 0.979 is what is powering www.strikingsupport.com

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James, Paul, KaptinLin
  • 67 Comments sorted by
  • Quick Guide to Upgrading From Striking Regular 5.1.9.6/5.2

Here are the major steps. There will be a video for it when at the time of official introduction, but this guide should get one on one's way.

1) If one can, do a complete site backup or confirm with one's host that they have one, so if things go really fubar, one has an easy fallback.

2) Change all sliders in the current site to either the nivo slider, or to the default header. Also go to the Striking homepage panel, and even though it may not be in use, set the slider type to nivo, and save. If any sliders by shortcode, they should change those to a nivo slider at this time.

3) Take all the existing widgets and drag them down to the Inactive Widget area. Widget areas themselves are not saved in theme changes. But dragging the active widgets to the Inactive widget area preserves the settings for each widget. If you have a lot of widgets and did not give them titles, do so now so you remember which text widget is for which sidebar.....

As well, if one has custom sidebars, they will automatically become "inactive" with the widgets in them. Thus after install of Striking R one would create new custom sidebars and then drag your Inactive custom sidebar widgets into the new sidebars and the widgets will be restored.

4) Until further notice : Do not import striking settings from striking into strikingR. We are still investigating on the how to.

5) Copy all the custom css one may have into a text document and remove it temporarily from the custom css field.

6) Likely no user is still using timthumb, but if it ison, turn timthumb off, and turn on clear cache, and save the Advanced panel. You will not be using timthumb again and it is removed from Striking Responsive completely.

7) If using the child theme, deactivate it by activating 5.1.9.6

Now you should be ready to install strikingr by using the install theme wp panel. So install it and activate it.

8) Immediately go and clear the cache, and then go to the Striking color panel, and save it (Generates a new skin file for the site).

9) Now go to the Striking General Panel, and turn on one's wp custom menu (assuming one was using this feature prior to the switch) - this setting does not carry over from theme to theme so it has to be turned on again.

10) Go to Appearance/menus, and set your custom menu for your header and footer again. The custom menus are there, just not set to show. So they have to enabled again.

11) Now check the front of the site. If there is an error related to slideshow.php contact us immediately so we can see it. It should not be happening at this point, and so if it does occur on install, we want to see it to determine why.

12) Assuming the site is up and running check to see if your site settings are showing such as custom colors. If not, then import the striking options in the Advanced panel. Save. Then check the front of the site again. Everything should be good at this point. There are a few settings that cannot carry over from one version to another. If you find one does not carry over, let us know. For some we can write a transition script, but for others it is not possible.

13) Go to the widgets panel, and drag the widgets back into the appropriate sidebars. If you had custom sidebars, they will have to be created again in the Striking Sidebar panel so that you can drag widgets into them. You will have to reassign the custom sidebars to all existing pages again -> no way to avoid this unfortunately.

Now import the custom css again. Here it may be necessary to make some adjustments as responsive css can be different. For example, if you were specifying centering your logo, now you have to change this so that it centers only for a particular viewport.

We normally suggest leaving any css adjustments until everything else is done.

14) The only remaining step at this point should be to set new sliders for any pages which you have a slider in place.

We have not done a full run through from a non responsive to responsive update in a few betas, so we will be interested in any feedback from users.

It may seem like a lot of work the above steps, but most are very simple steps, and all of the above is much easier then building a new site from scratch. My last runthrough of the above took me about 4 minutes.

If you have any issues, post back. We are very interested in this of course. And as I noted, we will have a video for this on official release.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James

• Hi - I've been asked to move my bugreport to the 'error thread'. Copy-paste from other post:

Here's a probable bug report. Striking 0.976.

In Footer => Sub Footer Settings, I changed the 'Sub Footer Widget Area Type' setting to 'Widget Area' and saved. Works, but in my Widgets page (Appearance => Widgets), the widgets I had in my sidebars areas that I created from Striking's "Custom Sidebar Generator Tool" where 'moved up'.

In other words, the widgets from my custom sidebars were moved to the area listed above them. Thus my newly available 'Sub Footer Widget Area' was filled with the widgets that were previously in my first 'custom sidebar'.

If you need more details, let me know. -- Alex

Hi Alex,

There is nothing we can do about this as this is the wordpress mechanism causing this behaviour.

Pls read this.

http://kaptinlin.com/support/discussion/2487/custom-sidebar-content-gone-when-turning-onoff-footer-widget-area#Item_2

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

---------------
    Ok - thanks for the feedback. Maybe you can inform Striking users in the help associated with the "Sub Footer Settings" that this 'moving up of widgets' will happen and users should review their widgets configuration. You'll get less requests for support by having the info directly in your inline help. -- Thanks for the excellent support. -- Alex
    ---------------------------
    Hi Alex
    Good idea, as i progress through the help rewrites this weekend I will add something in perhaps a few of the potential sidebar areas. Whew, its a lot of writing yet I have to do! And no fun at all writing dialogues in php - its even touchier then function writing sometimes.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James

• Hi James / Paul,

Although not quite finished yet on re-building the church site using Striking (see our earlier discussions), I felt brave this morning and upgraded to Striking Responsive. I tried to follow all the recommended steps as outlined in the initial post, I did however have to go through the site and reset all the page/blog/font/colour/link options as I did miss doing the things you mentioned in point 13. Once I did that nearly everything seems ok, thank goodness!!

I said 'nearly everything' as the one thing that I cannot seem to get to function correctly is to get the Slideshow area to appear in the Feature Header. I am not sure whether this is related to the type of error you mentioned in point 11 of your initial post in this thread, but I thought it best to let you know, as you asked.

I will send a PM shortly with the Username / Password information etc.. in case you want to check the site over.

Regards,

Alan
    CrichBaptist
    Hi Alan

If you are starting to feel brave and are flexing your wings then as theme developers we have succeeded.

But, forgive me, at your expense I had a good chuckle a few moments ago. Paul contacted me, and advised me the reason your slideshow is not working is because you have no slides to display - you have not created any yet!! :))

Now I have not gone into your site myself, I am tasking other matters, so this is "second hand" info, and Paul does have that strange Dutch sense of humour, so he might have been pulling my leg.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James

Hi James,

At least we "Dutch guys" have a sense a humor as you can read further down below....

Best regards,
    Paul

• James,

There are times when I feel a right idiot. That being said when I installed Striking initially I set up the non-responsive version which had a completely blank slideshow placeholder, it just showed where the image 'would' be when I had created one. All I could see when I installed Responsive was a very 'narrow' Feature Header, about one quarter of an inch deep. It was this fact that made me think that either I had not done something correctly, or, maybe it was the error which had highlighted in your introductory post to the latest Beta version.

However, whatever Paul has done seems to have worked, so I am happy!!

BTW, I really don't mind you having a chuckle at my expense - you would not have been the first, and I'm certain you won't be the last :) In fact, at times I have to laugh at myself. I find this laughter business is good for you, better than some medicines!!

Thanks again, and when I have made a few more adjustments, and no doubt added some Slider images (!!!!) I'll get back to you to ask if either Paul or yourself can move my site into live, replacing the existing non-Striking theme. I'll pm this note to Paul so that he can see what I have said to you.

Best wishes,

Alan
    Crich Baptist Church

Hi Alan,

You dont want to know how often james an I laugh at our idiotic mistakes we make frequently as we trap in our own pitfalls..

However we do change forum names by request. So if you want a new one which makes more sense to the feeling you had or are having right now thats no problem. We gladly grand the request.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

• Hi James / Paul,

You guys are slowly running out of beta numbers under 1.0 ;)

My site is currently on 0.977, and I still have two tiny issue that I just can't put my finger on. Issues are now only with IE (IE10 for sure but maybe other IE versions too).

1) Portfolio images cut off:
    I have a portfolio image page set with the shortcode: [portfolio column="4" max="12" sortable="true" ajax="true" titleLinkable="true" desc="false" more="false" moreButton="false" order="DESC" orderby="date"]. In IE10, with cache empty, the page still randomly loads some images and not others (see attached). On page refresh, everything works as expected always, until IE10's page cache is emptied again. Page is on: www.fabiot.net/photos. I have tried your test page, and that seems to work well (the code is the same too). I can't work it out.

2) Nivo slider in IE10 doesn't maintain in height on first image load.
    I understand this is a nivo slider issue, but just throwing it out there. My homepage uses the nivo slider, and in IE10, it will load all the images below each other before returning to the correct height (See attached). It's just for a split second before it starts to work well. Again, this occurs only when IE10 hits the page with a clean cache. In contrast, chrome seems to delay the nivo loading for a split second before showing the image within the correct height. I have searched fixes on the net, but none seem to work.

All fantastic otherwise! Loving the theme on mobile devices!

Fabs http://www.fabiot.net/

Hi Fab

i would not worry about the numbering as we have loads of floating points behind 0.999........

i can confirm the issue. We have to dive into this and see what is happening as i also see this behaviour in FF.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Clipboard01.jpg
    990 x 612 - 99K
    Clipboard02.jpg
    1148 x 803 - 185K
  • Hi,

Tis I again - Have there been any reported issues with the UberMenu not working in Responsive when viewing the site on a mobile phone?

I tried looking at the our 'test' site on my Blackberry, and there was the blue bar of the UberMenu, but nothing that was clickable to see the list of available pages.

Regards,

Alan
  • StrikingR 0.977. Found two bugs, but I admit I don't know if this bug's source is in StrikingR, Polylang or Wordpress itself. I think it's in StrikingR.

Bug: some strings are not translated and are not displayed in the list of translatable fields in Polylang settings while many other strings from StrikingR are found there for manual translations.

(A)
    The string in question is the "By: " string in the class="author" in a blog entry. "By: " cannot be translated and obviously should be :-)

The author info is added from StrikingR in the 'Blog Settings => Meta informations' panel by adding 'Author' to 'Enabled' in the "For Header Area of Single Post Page" section.

(B)
    The other related minor bug is the absence of space in "Posted in: category-name" where there is a X here: "Posted in:Xcategory-name" in the translation. In English, it looks ok and the space is there. In my translation (French), the string is (relatively) correctly translated but there is a missing space that glues all those words together.

If you think this is a bug with Polylang, I'll fill it in their forum. Thanks! -- Alex

Hi Alex,

I am afraid they are no "bugs"

the "By:" is within the language file that comes with the striking theme. If you stille see the By: text it means that either you did not create a language file for that specific word in the required language. However if you did create the pop and mo file for that language then polylang is not picking up the langauge files that come with the theme

the x in the category name is also language plugin related. i have seen similar issues at wpml when the category exists in multiple instances. So duplicates.

if the space is missing thats also again related to the translation of that string in the language file that comes with striking. If you translate the words "Posted in:" you can add the space in the translation file for that language.

in short you must create po and mo files for each language you are using and upload those in the languages folder of striking and/or in the folder polylang wants them to be.

http://kaptinlin.com/support/discussion/7354/tutorial-translating-your-theme-into-your-own-language-#Item_1

But the most important part is that Striking has no buildin support for polylang. We support WPML but that is a paid plugin i am afraid.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Minor typo in Font Settings => Google font Settings: "Replacment" should be "Replacement" :-) Thanks -- Alex
  • Hi Everyone

RELEASED!

We have uploaded a small update for Striking Responsive, which has been set as .978. It has a few matters resolved per user reports:

1) Image shadow/sprite issue as per Fabio above, in all browsers
    2) Updated image loading function when image is broken
    3) some misc IE 10 tweaks
    4) updated blog shortcode column function so one does not need to specify the width for featured image
    5) Fixed default sidebar loading for searchpage if no custom sidebar set for it in the custom sidebar panel. It will default to the blog sidebar.
    6) correction of typos in Google Font Tab per Satri above(Alex)
    7) Revolution Slider updated to today's build.

This is a pure useability update/interim build with the only goal being to get confirmation from users who reported issues that they are addressed.

I know I missed some names in the credit, you can send me a pm or skype with "that's me" and I will gladly credit you.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
  • Hi James / Paul,

Just reporting back. Image shadow/sprite issue I described has been fixed in Chrome, FF, IE10 and also IE8 (yes sir!).

Super well done guys! Thanks for the huge amount of work.

Fabs
  • Hello Striking team,
    for me everything works fine, except the audio portfolio item autoplay and the different behavior of the grayscale images... =D>
  • Hi

Thanks for the confirmations!

Just a note for all that in respect of the Woo declaration, if you turn on the ecommerce setting in the Ecommerce tab of the Advanced Panel, support is declared at that point. No need to mod anything.

@TDS, on the audio autoplay, we are going to go to your site at a future date as it is something we cannot figure out why is happening to you. I just went through all the autoplays with Paul a short while ago, and demonstrated to him that they all work, although the Chrome autoplay is very slow as that browser has a preloading requirement which is messing up the script speed.

So this autoplay matter of yours has to be revisited, but we have other items marked as higher priority at this time.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
  • Hi - I have the following with Striking 0.978 and I want to know if I'm alone :-)

When adding an image as a Portfolio item, when I set the 'Feature image', the 'thumbnail' is not a thumbnail, it's a strip of the image: as wide as a thumbnail, but as long as the full size image. This becomes annoying when listing all 'Portfolio items' since each thumbnail is a full page long and thus, I can't really see a list (unless I disable the display of Thumbnails in the screen options of the Portfolio items page).

My images look fine (maybe they're not?) in the Media library. But they don't (the thumbnails) in the Portfolio items list. Any clue? Am I alone with this problem? Thanks! -- Alex
  • Hi Alex

Portfolio thumbnail size is governed by the number of columns you intend to use to display your portfolio items. For release, I am going to provide a new help explanation in the portfolio panel, and portfolio list shortcode.

If you go to the Portfolio panel/Height of Thumbnail tab you will see that you have the ability to set the height of your thumbnail for each column, but no width setting. Click on the help icon for any one of the columns, and you will see it lists the width of the portfolio image ->this is the width of the portfolio thumbnail (and needs to be better explained I know...).

So if you are doing a 1 column portfolio display, your featured image should be 600px x height you choose. Or some multiple of that where the multiple preserves the W x H ratio. As long as the ration is preserved a larger image will resize proportionately. If the ratio is not preserved, then the image will be cropped on resizing.

Because of column padding and where the portfolio description is located, the reduction in width is not proportionate as one increases the number of columns. So the width of the featured image, or its ratio, is different in every column instance.

Thus if one is going to be employing a variety of portfolio columns shortcodes in the site, one might end up making several different portfolio items of the same image -> each portfolio item having a featured image of a different width x height setting (which you set).

Don't confuse the portfolio featured image which is sized for the portfolio list, with the image you might be displaying on the portfolio post page. In Striking, we give you the option to turn off the portfolio featured image if you are going to have a read more and/or linkable title to bring them to a portfolio post page where normally one would display more information.

You can leave the featured image setting on, in which case the featured image you used for the list will also display at the top of the single post page, or you can turn off the featured image so that it does not display automatically. Then, the solution is that you post your image in the size you desire in the body of the portfolio post, using the image shortcode.

If you think about it, we offer many types of portfolio posts. While you need a featured image for all types for the list, of course, if your portfolio post type is for example an audio or video, you have no need for the featured image on the single post page, instead you will have posted in the body content of it the actual audio or video shortcode, along with whatever other content you desire.

So you have 100% control over what you display on the single post page, and for lists, you can set the height, but you have fixed widths, which are relative to the number of columns.

When i do the portfolio videos it will be come clearer.

There is no error here, its just understanding how it works. Portfolios can be complicated. We offer a huge array of portfolio options and it takes a little while to gain an understanding of it all. We recognize this, and the first task I undertook was improving the explanations of the diff portfolio types in the portfolio metabox when creating an item. Next on the list is better explanations in the portfolio panel, and videos to tie it all together.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
  • Hi,

I update to the latest release of the responsive theme (0.978)

I have a plugin that put my header and footer on another site, but there is somes issues with this version:
    - In my footer i have no backround and somes CSS issue.
    - In the header, there is no more title.

Please have a look on this page:
    http://portal.ntsi-group.com/area/

If you can delete this URL after viewing the page, it's great ^^

Thank's
  • Hi James, Thanks for the detailed explanations. I wasn't clear enough, the problem I have is in the Portfolio list 'admin panel', not on the actual resulting website. It's on the postfolio _admin_ list that the 'thumbnails' are full height. *But* I think I found the reason and it's not related to Striking: when I import images, I get wp-includes/media.php on line 937 errors! Thus I highly suspect that because of php lack of memory errors, the images were not correctly added to the Media Library, and thus, Striking is showing them very badly in the admin Portfolio items list. Sorry for this apparently non-Striking problem I have. Thanks -- Alex
  • if u can just put me in the right direction or tell me what change affect this kind of feature in the header and footer...
    Yoann
  • Hi Yoann

You have heavily customized your Striking, so we are not in a position to provide any significant advice on this matter. Nor did you say what version you jumped from.

If you are interested in the changes to the header.php and footer.php just compare the current versions of those files to the prior version you had in place.

We do see that you have set your footer background-color and footer text-color to:

#footer {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    }

We also are not quite clear on some matters. Do you have a background set for the footer? Is it a jpeg or a png, and if a png, does it have transparency? If not, then you need to set the footer background color to transparent.

I think we need more info, but you have heavily customized your striking and normally once a user does that, we are outside of the bounds of free support.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
  • Hi Guys, I'm just about to try migrating our production French Mortgage site http://bestfrenchmortgage.com from Striking to Striking-r and I'd like to initially preserve the look and feel of the site whilst taking advantage of the responsive features. Is there an updated advisory on migrating settings as in the Quick Guide to Upgrading point 4 above you say "4) Until further notice : Do not import striking settings from striking into strikingR. We are still investigating on the how to"?
  • Thank you for your answer Websys.

Just to clarify, it's a fresh install and the only change i've made are in CSS striking box.
    I try removing them with no luck. I'll also check the header, footer without succes.
    I just use backgroud for the header, feature header with the original black footer.

With 0.975 it work on both site:
    Original site: www.ntsi-group.com
    Client area: portal.ntsi-group.com (with header and footer integration)

With 0.978 it work the "original site" but there is no more background image on the feature header, and no more "original" black background on the footer.

But if i restore the screen.css from the latest version i used (i think 0.975) in the cache folder of strikingR theme it's seems to work on both side.

So i investigate and i identify 2 lines in screen.css, who could be "in fault":

In 0.975 there is: #feature {
    Replace in 0.978 by this: .no-gradient #feature, .has-gradient #feature {
    AND
    In 0.975 there is: #footer {
    Replace in 0.978 by this: .no-gradient #footer, .has-gradient #footer {

If i replace this 2 lines by the old one:
    This time Feature header image background is not display on striking original site, but work one the clientarea !?
    Footer look's ok on both side, the 'flare" is not display in clientarea, but that does not matter the background is black !

Again, thank you for your help.

Yoann
  • I too need to upgrade to responsive but I have not found any instructions (text or video) on how to upgrade.

Is there a tutorial that I have just not found?

Thank you,

Scott
  • Striking R is still in beta. I think they are waiting for the final release before issuing the final How to video and /or text instructions. though if you would just scroll up to the top of this thread you would see their instructions: http://kaptinlin.com/support/discussion/comment/32781#Comment_32781
  • Did you take a look at this 2 lines, they give me a headake :

In 0.975 there is: #feature {
    Replace in 0.978 by this: .no-gradient #feature, .has-gradient #feature {
    AND
    In 0.975 there is: #footer {
    Replace in 0.978 by this: .no-gradient #footer, .has-gradient #footer {

I hope you can help

Yoann
  • Hello Striking team!
    Its no funktional issue, but important too: i am missing ALT tags for images.
    F. ex. on this page: http://kannegiesser-gruppe.de/partner/
    The shortcode for an image is:
    [image source_type="attachment_id" source_value="1317" align="center" icon="link" size="medium" width="304" autoHeight="true" link="http://www.raw-international.com&quot; linkTarget="_blank"]
    How to implement an ALT tag?

thank you

Hi TDS,

the lightbox caption is used for the alt tag.
    title="Image alt tag"

i also have send you a email on this.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Hi, I have an earlier Striking responsive .976 release. Is it recommended to upgrade to 0.978? I'd rather wait until the official release. Or at least a 0.98. In the meantime, Wordpress has released an upgrade. Would updating Wordpress and not updating Striking Responsive cause any issues? I don't think so, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
    zeemusix

Hi

i dont understand why you dont want to update to .978. I dont recall if .976 has issues with wp 3.5.2 as that update only is a security update. However you did not mention what wp version you are running so i cant answer the question.

The best thing todo is stay on wp 3.5.1 and your current version of strikingR if you do not want to update.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Okay, thanks. I had wp 3.5.1 -- and I didn't want to update to the new wp until I knew that striking had updated its template to work with it. Sometimes, there are differences between wp and striking - where the current versions of each do not completely go together. I worked around it. Very minor things. Anyway, since the WP update is only a security thing -- that was an unnecessary caution. I'll upgrade to .978
    Thanks again.
  • I apologize for all the comments, but this is my first time using a wordpress theme (Striking Responsive).

I am looking up how to update wordpress themes and all the websites seem to say that I will need to re-do all of my customizations (i.e. re-build my website). That can't be true. My color choices, images, languages -- these will all stay the same, right?

There's a link above on how to update from regular Striking (http://kaptinlin.com/support/discussion/comment/32781#Comment_32781) Do the same parameters apply?

Then, I delete the old Striking Responsive and install the new Striking Responsive -- and re-set my widgets, menus, sidebars and custom .css file (I have only 1). Or transfer the files via FTP. I can also do that, right?

Thanks...

if you update striking_R to striking_R you dont need to redo anything. Just update the theme by ftp overwriting the one which is in there. Do not delete the old theme first.

if you did hardcoded changes to the current theme which is in your wordpress then you will have to save them first and redo them later again to latest downloaded version.

You can download the latest version at the given link here on the forum.

Once downloaded then unpack the download locally on your pc , unpack also the striking.zip which is in there locally on your pc.

Now redo your hardcoded changes if any to the newly downloaded and unpacked theme.

Now upload that unpacked (striking) folder with all its subfolders by ftp (you can use free ftp programs like filezilla or winscp for this) into the wp-content/themes folder overwriting the /striking theme(folder) which is already in there.

After the update goto the striking advanced settings.

1) turn off timthumb
    2) turn on clear cache
    3) save the settings.

if you experiencing any problems with images. Go again to the striking advanced settings

1) turn off combine css
    2) turn off combine js
    3) turn off move js to the bottom
    4) save the settings.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

• Thanks, Paul! Looks do-able. :-)
  • In StrikingR 0.978, the version number of the Revolution Slider (RS) is missing. At the bottom right of the RS admin panel, there's "Themepunch ver." but nothing after 'ver.' - I was expecting to see a version number there.

I found bugs in the Revolution Slider and would like to report the bugs. My understanding is that those bugs directly related to RS should be logged in RS's support forum, not StrikingR, right? To proceed to such bug reports, I'm certain the RS team will want to know which RS version I'm using... information that RS's integration within StrikingR doesn't currently provide. Thanks! -- Alex

Hi alex

i believe it shows a versionnumber when there us a update. You have the latestversion.

Best regards, Paul, Striking Team
  • Hi Everyone

I will be releasing tonight, should I ever succeed in wading through all my personal messages, an updated build of Striking Responsive - Ver 0.979, with an addition you have all been waiting for!! :))

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
  • yess! i love the new addition! great thing :D
  • Hi Guys, Something really strange - Beta 0.979 appears to have broken the Wordpress spell checker. Regardless of what I type in the kitchen sink spell checker returns "no misspellings found". The spell checker works fine in the current version of Striking and I think it worked fine in Striking-r Beta 0.978. Can ayone veryfiy that this is the case?
    Best rgds, David
  • Great addition and excellent work with the new icon font shortcode!

I was able to remove my existing fontawesome plugin and all my existing font icons bullets still work perfectly!!

Question, can you provide a quick guide on how to add a icon font to a menu item?

Thanks,
    Brian

Hi brian,

Do we really have to explain this? Just push the icon link/button in the menu item. :))

Best regards,
    Paul,
    Striking Team

BackuPs said:

Do we really have to explain this? Just push the icon link/button in the menu item. :))

Hi Paul,

Yes, I really think you should explain if users can or can not add font icons to menu items if they are running the plugin UberMenu.

The 'insert icon' for the menu item does not show up if one is running UberMenu. Previously, I was running Font Awesome Menus plugin and their method was to add the icon via the CSS Classes menu property.

Can this be accomplished in a similar fashion within the standard StrikingR build? I'd really like to eliminate the existing plugin, if possible.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Where in your original question can i read you want this explaination for ubermenu, i cant guess that you are talking about that if that has not been added (LOL). So thats why i asked if i need to explain this working. I thought " how must i explain that you only need to push the button whch is visible in the menu "

The addon we made is for the striking menu not for ubermenu. I will check this later this week if this can work with that plugin and how. I can imagine as ubermenu tweaks the menu layout also this does not work by our link-button. Actually i believe this is something Chris from Sevenspark should add to his menu plugin. I will investigate later.

****************** UPDATE****************************

in ubermenu it works like this

1) turn on the use of the fontawesome in the striking font general settings

2) add the style to the menu navigation label following the fontawesome iconnaming conventions like this

<i style="color:white;" class="the-icons icon-home icon-large"></i> Home

Best regards,
    Paul,
    Striking Team

Thanks Paul, sorry I wasn't more explicit about using UberMenu in my original message.
    I didn't know how the feature worked until you provided an explanation.

Hi Brian,

No need to say sorry. Maybe i should say that as i did not understand the question correctly in the first place.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Me, I am just sorry that everyone is sorry! ;)
    James!
  • Hi guys,

Three problems:

on Android 4.2.2, Chrome: Is the representation of the contact widget wrong. see screenshot. The selected color appears throughout the text.

The presentation temporarily broken at the bottom.

In Firefox on Android layout breaks totally. see screenshot.

Best regards

raikit

Problem solved. It was a plugin conflict with Shareaholic.

Best regards

raikit

• For some reason, the font icons are not working for my custom top menu, but they are working for my main navigation custom menu.

My top header area is set to widget area.

The test site is newsite.adjacent-tech.com

Thanks,
    Brian

Hi Brian

The striking menu icon is only added for the two containers by the Theme_Walker_Nav_Menu function call. see striking/framework/functions/common.php and striking/sections/menu.php

You can add them the same way like the ubermenu example i gave you and include the html to the menu item label.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Perfect, thank you!
    Brian

• Hello Striking Team,

I noticed seems, the image alignment "center" not to work in the image shortcode. Image Alignment "right" to work.

Example: http://demo.ihc-ml.de/2013/07/image-shortcode-test-align/

used Schortcode: [image source_type="attachment_id" source_value="41661" alt="Sascha Geisler - Ihr Fachmann für's Grüne!" icon="zoom" align="center" width="340" autoHeight="true" quality="85" lightbox="true" title="Sascha Geisler - Ihr Fachmann für's Grüne!"]

Best regards

raikit

Hi

I suggest not to center it..... :))

LOL, we will investigate.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Hi raikit,

i can confirm the issue.

We will fix it.

Best regards,
    Paul
  • One more question: Set the color of the 'Feature Header Background Color' to "transparent"? It does not work.

Best regards

raikit

Hi raikit,

In which color setting screen? The striking default color? It need to be emptied out to be transparent.

or the striking page settings color settings? It need to be emptied out to be transparent.

So no value for the both of them.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Hi Paul,

My understanding is:
    when the feature header backround is transparent, then the page background image (fixed) will be seen below feature header. Or?

Example: http://demo.ihc-ml.de/blog

I put in the page custom CSS, the feature Haeder backround color to transparent. But it is the "striking-default color". transparency does not apply.

But maybe it's my unprofessional custom-css for the removal of gradients and shadows of the feature headers ...

Now is not that important, they bring Striking R to launch! :)>-

raikit
  • Hello guys, yesterday I tryed downloading the new responsive beta 0.979 without success. It says that the Purchase Code is not valid.
    Today it happened the same.
    I checked if the code was correct lots of times (even downloading it again from themeforest) and, no way, always the same error.

Any clue?
    Thanks
    ---------------
    Hi

Resolved. You can download now.
    James
  • Strange issue. After updating to 0.979, the portfolio item thumbnails stopped showing up! They load for a second or two and then are displayed as blank. Upon clicking on them, the right portfolio item does show up properly. Only missing are the thumbnails displayed from the shortcode. See an example here: http://www.illuminart.ca/lampes/portfolio/voyage/ (select the 'French' flag is your browser leads you to the english page)

What I'm using is simply [portfolio column="3" layout="sidebar" sortable_all="false" cat="voyage" more="false" moreButton="false"]

Any suggestion / clue. It was working perfectly fine with 0.978 and there's nothing else on the site that I changed since.
    Hi

did you goto the striking advanced settings and clear the striking cache?

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Ah! Bingo :-) Works now. I guess I would have needed a big blinking pop-up message "Please clear your cache now since you just updated your theme" (joking aside, can such a feat or similar warning be offered to dumb users such as myself? :-)). Sorry and thanks... I'll remember for next time... -- Alex

-------------------------------

Hi Alex

The lead comments in this thread include installation instructions of which clearing the cache is one of the steps.

We are going to change Striking update notifications soon to a push notification where we can customize the message, and I am doing a nice update video as well.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James

• You guys give outstanding support. While I'm a big supporter/user/contributor of open source, I'm happy to have paid for Striking and have suggested it to my entourage (which several of them bought Striking). Providing valuable feedback to customers is an essential step for long term success, and you apparently understand this. Congrats!

Hi

Thank you !!! Always glad to hear. We cant get enough positive feed back !!!

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Hey Guys, I have a couple of issues after upgrading to the latest StrikingR Beta (v0.9.7.9).

Site URL: http://reelfanreviews.com

1) My Striking Responsive Options Dashboard is all funky. I have had this happen before when upgrading the Beta updates and the only way I have found to fix it is to do a fresh theme install and manually delete all of the old theme folder and then Import everything back in. Is there a easier way to accomplish this? When I upgraded I used FTP and did "Overwrite if source newer" and then proceeded to Clear Cache under the Advanced Menu. Here is a Screenshot: http://puu.sh/3L7WD.png

2) I have the Blog Items displayed on the homepage with 4 columns and when it has enough to go to a 2nd page it only posts 2 columns last row instead of showing 4, which would look way smoother. Screenshot: http://puu.sh/3L8bJ.jpg

PS- YOU GUYS ROCK!!! :)

Hi

1). Clear your striking cache and browser cache after the update. Most likely (99.99%) the latter is causing the issue.

2) Can you tell us what is the shortcode you are using? Can you paste it in?

To paste them correctly in to the forum thread please embed your (css/short/php/html) code into code tags.

<code> </code>

Best regards,
    Paul,
    Striking Team

Thanks for the quick response!

1). It was the browser cache, I'm a dummy. Thx. :p

2) No shortcode in use. Just have the Home Page drop down option set to "Movies" which is the Blog data. Here is a screenshot: http://puu.sh/3LtP5.png

-Sheldon

Hi Sheldon,

can you send either James or me admin logindetails?

You can send James a pm at websys

On the left there is a link (option) saying :

"Send Websys a Message".

You can send me a pm at Backups

On the left there is a link (option) saying :

"Send BackuPs a Message".

Please include :

1) a link to this thread so in know what this is about.
    2) As much details/information about the problem as possible
    3) links to the affected page(s)

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Just wanted to report issue with two well known plugins. Both MapPress Easy Google Maps & Print Friendly and PDF. When either of these are installed the shortcode generator does not function correctly. Just wanted to give a heads up! I am testing the latest beta version. If you guys could find a fix for that it would be awesome!!! Thanks!

http://wordpress.org/plugins/printfriendly/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/mappress-google-maps-for-wordpress/

shrejee said:

Yup... issue exists from Striking Non R previous releases and in Responsive too.
    I request if at least MapPress could be fixed. It provides awesome to the stock mapping solution with lots of customisation rather than 'Leaflet Maps Marker'.

• I purchased Striking on July 19th and installed it (5.2.1) but it's not responsive.
    If responsive was released July 12, shouldn't my purchased version be responsive or do I need to download that feature seperately?

Hi

please read the yellow part on the main page of this forum.... it has a link to the download page for striking responsive.

You can download it here.

http://www.strikingsupport.com/

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • 5.21 is not responsive. The responsive one is still in beta. You can download the responsive one from the link on the forum.
  • I recently tried inserting the Google map shortcode inside the toggle shortcode in Striking R. When I do, the marker on the map disappears. I then tried using the iframe embed code from Google itself, but the same thing happens - the marker disappears. If you place it outside the toggle shortcode all works well. Any way to have the toggle shortcode not take away the map marker? Thanks!!!

Hi Mike,

the google api requires to map to be visible when creating the page. So when the google map is within hidden content (as a second tab/closed accordion) it does not draw the map.

We have to see if we can find a work around but the problem is caused by the google api. And as i recall it does have this anomaly for over two years now.

the issue is caused by the fact that the actual map is surrounded by 8 other divs containers containing the "next" map when you start scrolling or moving. In a hidden window those are not created.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • I can confirm an anomaly when using google map shortcode inside a toggle shortcode.

In my testing when I use the google map shortcode and select Open=On/True, everything seems to work correctly, including marker appearing as normal (see attached image togge_googlemap_Open=True)

[toggle title="map" open="true"][gmap address="10415 morado cirlce, austin, tx"
    zoom="14" controls="true" scaleControl="false" scrollwheel="false" align="center"][/toggle]

So I did not experience the maker disappearing that likemike reported.

However, when I insert the google map shortcode and leave the toggle setting to the default Open=Off/False, the map image is displayed in a truncated fashion in the upper left of the image frame (see attached image toggle_googlemap_Open=False)

[toggle title="map"][gmap address="10415 morado cirlce, austin, tx" zoom="14"
    controls="true" scaleControl="false" scrollwheel="false" align="center"][/toggle]

Thanks,
    Brian

Hi Brian,

the google api requires to map to be visible when creating the page. So when the google map is within hidden content (as a second tab/closed accordion) it does not draw the map.

We have to see if we can find a work around but the problem is caused by the google api. And as i recall it does have this anomaly for over two years now.

the issue is caused by the fact that the actual map is surrounded by 8 other divs containing the "next" map when you start scrolling or moving. In a hidden window those are not created.

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul

Thanks Paul, good to know and this isn't a show-stopper for me right now. If I end up needing to place a map in a toggle, I'll just make sure the toggle is set to Open=On.
    Togge_Googlemap_Open=True.JPG
    968 x 468 - 92K
    toggle_googlemap_Open=False.JPG
    962 x 462 - 33K
  • Potential bug (or might be a known behavior?) with 0.9.7.9.

I can't publish pages in the example.org/portfolio/here URL.

There are existing pages that have the following URL example.org/portfolio/there - this is normal since those are the default URLs of 'portfolio items'. However, I can't create pages under /portfolio/

Normal? Of course, if one creates a 'portfolio item' that has the same name as the 'portfolio/page' then there's a conflict. Thanks -- Alex

• Hi All

I am going to be closing this thread shortly. While we have been plugging away at building the new demos and stuff we have also been busy both whacking away at errors, and adding tweaks. So the next beta:

Fixed : ken burns video functions
    Fixed : Accordion Slider Pop Up Caption style
    Fixed : HTML 5 Video functions (which as far as we can tell work incredibly well now.
    Fixed : Shortcode support in Archive Text field ( i think we are only theme with this)
    Fixed : Shortcode support in Blog Panel/Search Tab/ Nothing Found Text field and also filtering issue with quotes
    Fixed : Nivo Slider blog and portfolio linking in IE 9 and 10
    Added : mobile viewport custom logo function (so a separate logo for viewport (<767)<br />Added : variety of image hover effects such as zoom, morph, rotate and tilt to the existing one of icon and grayscale for thumbnails of blog shortcode, portfolio shortcode, image shortcode and wp gallery shortcode.

We also are just about complete our woo upgrades. there are some other fixes but I don't recall them off the top of my head. We will have a formal changelog capturing everything.

I anticipate we will be releasing the next beta on Tuesday. Since it cures the last remaining major errors and introduces the image and woo features it will likely be the last beta.

PLUGINS: Striking Responsive is already compatible with a wide range of plugins. We will be testing some more as we march to release. Even after official release we will still be testing! I have notes on some recent posts about plugin compatibilities. I cannot guarantee we will have them all tested prior to official release, which we want to get out the door asap. But even after official release we will continue the testing process and making adjustments where we can.

Remember, just because a plugin is compatible with the default wp themes does not mean it is going to work with a premium theme like Striking. Sometimes we can do something about it, and sometimes we cannot.

I don't see many responsive themes offering much html5 video support these days. I suspect it is something we should be trumpeting.

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
  • I can't add a Google Analytics code to striking responsive under general without getting an error in chrome saying "this webpage is unavailable".

It only happens when I paste in the code from Google Analytics and not when the box is empty.
  • Hi Mack

I think we need a url. No such issues occurring on any other site, so I am thinking some sort of error. Can you post into your next comment your google code so we can check it out?

Best Regards
    Striking Team
    James
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions