To insert code in a forum thread or comment wrap it in code tags : <code>...</code>.
Overlooked unchecking the 'Organise my uploads .... box'
  • Hi,

First of all let me say that I am currently re-building our church site using Striking, and am doing so with everything organised in a sub.domain folder that is not in the public_html tree structure on our server.

In my excitement at building the skeleton of our site I overlooked unchecking the "Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders" box". When I tried to do it in retrospect and then clicked save I got a warning, predictable I suppose. So all that I could do was leave the box checked, which of course I would prefer not to be the case, as when the site is finished I want to move everything over to replace our existing site in the public_html folder on our server, preferably with all the media files in one uploads folder.

Is there a way round this without me uploading all the media files again?

The error messages I received were (with the path partially hidden):

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/********/***-****/wp-admin/options.php on line 147

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/********/***-****/wp-admin/options.php on line 147

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/********/***-****/wp-admin/options.php:147) in /home/********/***-****/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 876.

A mess of my own making I accept, but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alan

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • Hi

did you already moved the current website from one place to another by any change?

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,

No, I have not moved anything yet. The 'test' site is located in a different Wordpress installation totally separate from the present 'live' site.

The only thing that I have done before in the 'test' location is trial various Themes - before I settled on Striking, and used a plugin called Wordpress Reset. That plugin resets the WordPress database back to it's defaults, deleting all customizations and content. It does not modify files only resets the database back to its default Wordpress installation.

That aside, since I installed the Striking theme it has worked absolutely fine.

Regards,

Alan
  • Paul,

Just a quick follow-up to my last post. I think that I may have come up with an answer. Not being able to uncheck the 'Organise my uploads ....' box without getting an error message may be highlighting a conflict with the WP Smush.it plugin that I had installed.

I tried de-activating the plugin and as soon as I had done that I was able to uncheck the box and then save the setting with no problem.

What I do to replace the functionality of WP Smush.it with I don't know yet (any suggestions?)

I used FileZilla to look at the existing folder structure and what the folders contain. There are a number of the images that I have uploaded already, these are of course in the Year/Month folders in Uploads. I guess that I could move these into the general uploads folder, and then copy/paste the changed path.

Any further suggestions or comments you may have would of course be welcome.

Regards,

Alan
  • Hi Alan,

i am lost here. I have setup many websites and some with and without the year month indexing and even some of them were we turned it on after a year. Non of them went into a problem after it was turned on as the alreday uploaded images are linked correctly within the database to the uploads folder and new ones go in to the year/month structure.

I dont know why you need to change all those. So please can you clarify a bit more what is going on or what you are trying todo.

Thanks

Best regards,
    Striking Team
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,

Let me try and explain the issue a little more simply, if I can.

1: Background - I had previously read that when building a site which you will move later, it is better to organise all the uploads into the main Uploads folder (not into year/months sub-folders. It is supposed to make moving the site a little simpler.

2: What I am trying to do: - Send all my image uploads into the main Uploads folder (not into year/month sub-folders.

3: Issue: - Initially I overlooked unchecking the 'Organise my uploads box .....' causing an error warning when I tried to uncheck the box subsequently.

4: Possible Plugin Conflict: - I have discovered that there seems to be a conflict with the WP Smush.it plugin which resulted in the issue as described in 3 above.

I accept that you folks have a great deal more experience than I will ever have with these things, but I hope that the above explanation clarifies the problem a little more clearly.

Regards,

Alan
  • Hi alan,

Putting all images into one folder does not make the move any easier at all. In fact it does not make a single difference and believe me i have done a lot of movements.

Putting all images into one folder can cause problems especially when one has lots of images. It can affect loading speed. Also when images have the same filename it can lead to unpredictable issues on showing images in the frontend. We have seen ths happening in many websites. We always classified this as a wp error as we could never pinpoint where it came from. But we saw wrong images loaded into pages because of that. We did advice all to use the year month structure.

Changing all the paths in the sql database has to be done manually by issueing search and replace commands. This can be a extensive modification if you already ave lots of images uploaded. And be aware if you touch serialized data you will wreck parts of your website.

I would advice to keep the year month path.

Best regards, Paul, Striking Team
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions